High temperatures are no match for an air-conditioned house, but garages are often left out of the equation.
If you’ve ever walked into your garage on a hot San Diego day, you know just how blistering a hot garage can be.
Maybe you even use your garage as additional living space for your workshop, gym or laundry room, which can be challenging in the summer months.
Fortunately, there are many steps you can take to lower the temperature of your garage so you can feel cool and comfortable all year long.
Why Do Garages Get So Hot?
There are many reasons why your garage becomes so hot, including:
- The garage is facing the sun
- Poor ventilation
- The garage is painted dark colors
- Hot vehicles are parked in the garage
- Lack of insulation
How to Cool Your Garage
Luckily, there are ways to help lower the temperature of your garage. For a more pleasant environment, consider following these garage cooling tips:
- Park your car outside: Vehicles emanate heat during use and long after shutting them off. If you park outside until the car cools down, you can move it back into your garage without raising the temperature.
- Invest in a fan: Fans are effective at providing better air circulation in your garage. You can cool your garage down easily with a box fan, pedestal fan or even a ceiling fan.
- Install air conditioning: AC is incredibly effective for cooling your garage. Try investing in central air or an air conditioning unit.
- Paint your garage door a lighter color: Darker colors tend to conduct and absorb more heat. Try repainting or replacing your garage with a lighter color option.
- Insulate your garage: Even if you’re using an air conditioner, you need proper insulation to keep the cool air in. When insulated correctly, less cool air will escape and your garage’s heat index will significantly drop.
- Organize for maximum air circulation: Allow room for airflow by organizing and moving clutter out of your garage.
- Choose the right time of day: Avoid entering your garage during the hotter hours of the day. If you’re planning on working in the garage, do so between early morning and 11 a.m. If you want to work in the afternoon, wait until 4 p.m or later.
- Improve ventilation: Try opening garage doors and windows for natural ventilation or upgrade your ventilation system.
- Get a dehumidifier: High humidity can cause your garage to get hot. Purchase a dehumidifier to remove moisture from the air.
Schedule Garage Door Services From Easy Open Door
Our family-owned company is your one-stop shop for garage door installation and repairs in San Diego. With almost 40 years of experience and highly trained employees who have been in the business for 15 years or more, Easy Open Door is here to provide you with high-quality service.
If you’re looking for garage door services, request an estimate or schedule service with us today!