Garage doors are essential to our everyday lives. They are an entryway for your garage and house as well as a way to safely store your car and other items. They also serve cosmetic purposes like enhancing the overall appearance and curb appeal of your home.
With so many benefits, you don’t want your garage door to undergo too much wear and tear. That’s why it’s important to keep up with regular maintenance so you can prevent costly damage and increase your garage door’s lifespan. Learn more about maintaining and repairing your garage door and how to know when it’s time for a replacement.
What Is the Lifespan of a Garage Door?
Most garage doors last between 15 and 30 years, though really it depends on the door, you and your environment.
The lifespan of your garage door is determined by a variety of factors, including:
- Usage: The type of springs you have determines how many open/close cycles your garage is good for. The more you use your garage door, the closer you come to the end of that cycle, and the shorter the lifespan will be.
- Care: If you practice garage door maintenance on a regular basis, your door will likely have a longer lifespan and age more slowly.
- Quality and price: If you purchased a high-quality door from a trusted retailer, your door will most likely live longer than lower quality garage doors. Typically, the more you pay for a garage door, the better the quality.
- Local climate: San Diego can sometimes experience inclement weather like storms, hail and high winds. As a result, your garage door may take some damage that could potentially lower its lifespan.
When to Replace Your Garage Door
Sometimes, it can be difficult to determine whether your garage door has reached the end of its lifespan. Luckily, there are a series of factors you can take into consideration to decide whether you should replace your garage door.
If your garage door is exhibiting any of these symptoms, it may be time to invest in a new one:
- The door is not functioning properly
- Your wood door is cracked, damaged, warped or peeling
- Your aluminum door has dents and dings
- You notice rusted or broken parts
- The garage door sags
- The door is noisy or slow to open or close
- You want better insulation for a more climate-controlled garage
Enjoy a New Garage Door From Easy Open Door
If you’re looking to install a new, high-quality garage door to enhance the curb appeal or functionality of your home, turn to the professionals at Easy Open Door.
We specialize in garage door installation, sales and repairs, so we can set you up with the best garage doors on the market.
Our company has been in business for almost 40 years in the San Diego County area, so you can trust us with all of your garage door needs.